Monday, February 18, 2008

New Rollers

Well I finally recovered enough from this cold to open up my new rollers from Cycle-Ops.
There was nothing to assemble. I just unfolded the unit, moved the front roller up a place to fit my old 89 Trek 400 and it was ready to roll :)
I had to search around for my seat to the road bike as I took the seat with me in case my butt got bad on the 24 solo run from Hot August Nights. I also had to pump up the tires, but only had my small pump available. I didn't get them up to 100 psi thats for sure.
I think I was probably around 60 psi.
Having never ridden any rollers before and all the talk about doing it in the hall had me a bit worried about the learning curve being long to be able to ride them. I am happy to say that after a couple of 30 seconds spins I felt that I pretty much had the hang of it.
I then did a 15 minute session. I was running a 42x26(lowest) gear and I was finding the resistance was a bit high. Didn't have my HR on so not sure my effort but probably in the 150 range (~85%). This means I can't go much easier than this. I suspect that low tire pressure is the biggest problem. I am also running 700Cx28 tires. My roads are so terrible and I also have a few kms of gravel to do to get to my house.
At any rate I am sure it has to do with the tires and tire pressure and nothing to do with the 40 year old motor that hasn't done any cycling or cardio stuff since November.
I hoping that the increased tire pressure will allow me to ride a bit easier. I think the resistance is a bit high right now for base miles.
Cheers,
Paul

No comments: