Monday, May 28, 2012

Tubeless


I finally pulled the trigger last fall on a tubeless wheel and tire set. I think I have enough riding on them now to give an initial review on them.
They are Continental Mountan King 2.2's UST on Mavic Crosstrail UST wheel set.
I really wanted something a bit lighter and was looking at the Stans ZTR Alpine rims and trying out a Stans Crow and Raven tire but got a killer deal on these that I could not refuse.
I  only finished 3 of 7 races in the local series due to flats, sometimes multiple flats. All pinch flats. I did use this wheelset for a few laps of Hot August Nights solo attempt at the end of the year. They were working great on this course, which is not very technical and it was pretty dry. After 3-4 laps in a suspension parts failure caused me to switch to my Cousins 29'er.
This year I have gotten out a few technical group rides and did a local XC race. So far so good. No flats and traction seems to be as good as everyone else or better as I have cleared a lot of the technical stuff that some others have not.
I had one ride that was a bit cool and we started getting some snow near the end of the ride and the rocks and especially the roots were starting to get a bit slippery. The other guys also reported it getting dicey so I was not alone so traction was good for the conditions from my observation.
I started out running around 25 psi F/R and worked my way down to around 18, give or take for my last group ride and for the race. So far no flats and traction has been very good over all. I noted that they slide a bit in gravel and soft loamy corners but are predictable and so quick front brake work has kept me rubber side up for now.
When I mounted these up it was fairly easy. I tried airing them up without any sealant but they would not seal very well and went flat in a couple minutes. I ended up putting just a small amount of Stans in them. Maybe 1/2 a scoop, which sealed up around the valve stem and the bead. They sat on the bike in the cold garage all winter hanging from the ceiling and still had some pressure spring. I haven't added and sealant and have been running them fine this season so far with just the few drops I put in initially
I will probably do a follow up in the fall after the season is over and get to try them in wetter and sloppier conditions but so far no regrets and performance has been on par or better than tubed.

Cheers,
Paul

No comments: