Monday, May 7, 2012

Tempo Ride

Just came back from a weekend at the Folks across town. Was my little sis's 40th. Ate a fair bit and actually had 3 beers between Friday night and Sat night. My sugar was good all weekend too which was a pleasant surprise for a change.
Didn't sleep well but that is norm for the course theses days.
Had a planned 2 hr tempo ride and was not sure I would get it in as we got home a bit late Sunday evening. I decided to jump on the rollers anyway and give it a go.
I am still a bit confused about tempo riding. From what I 've read it's a bit above endurance and a little below threshold.
I believe I screwed up this workout a little by using HR instead of wattage for the workout. My HR for the main part of the block of tempo was 129 bpm and my TH is prob around 165bpm. In my mind I needed to get my HR at around 150 for my tempo wattage. My wattage was spot on the max the coach wanted me to train at and after reviewing I was surprised at the 129 average for my 165 watts of tempo. In order to get my HR above 150 bpm I was pushing above what my TH wattage was and it still took a while to get there.
My legs felt pretty heavy for this workout and as it was late I called it quites 30 mins early and cooled down thinking something was wrong due to the low HR.
After taking a look at the data it is looking good for my next main race, which is a 24 Solo attempt.  Looking at data from around Christmas when I started with the coaching for a similar workout my wattage is up 15 watts and the HR is down more than 20 bpm. Look like I need to learn to hurt a bit more on the rollers :)

Time to start getting in some longer rides :)

Cheers,
Paul

No comments: