Tuesday, September 28, 2010

CX Race 1 of 2010

Race 1
Megan and I did our first CX race of the season, Megans first ever bike race.
We both had a good time and both of us finished our races without any mechanicals :)
It was a drizzly morning and the course was wet. It had pretty much stopped raining for the race or was very light and the temperature was perfect for the riders, altho it was a bit cold for the spectators.

Unfortunately Megans race is at the same time as mine so I can't watch and take pics. I did pass her out on course once so I did shout some encouragement to her and also reminded her to switch gears. She was smiling so that was great.
Megan is definitely at a big disadvantage as her bike is around 25 lbs and most of the adult riders are riding sub 18 pound bikes, and Megan is only around 48 lbs! I guess that would be like me riding a 70 pound bike!
I'm going to try lighten it up a bit for the next race with some of my spare parts.....

My race went good and bad. Mainly the bad was that I didn't push hard enough and finished a lap down. I needed to be 20 seconds a lap faster and I would have finished on the lead lap. I think I left too much left in the tank. My favorite type of racing is Endurance Racing so my pacing was probably in between Endurance and XC racing today. Avg HR was 166. Need to get that up to around 175. My max is around 181-183.
On the plus side I had no issues with the bike and had the tire pressure dialed in pretty good. On hard cornering I could feel the rear starting to roll so need 2-4 more psi in the rear. Traction was great and I had no issues in the slippery stuff. There were a couple spots that some people had to dismount to clear.

Nice to see lots of people out with many team Euro-sports/Foodery/Dal-cin members.
Thanks to my Mom who came out and cheered and took care of Megan while waiting for my race to finish.

No comments: